Monday, March 23, 2009

The end is in sight

We are back in Quito this evening, and will head to the airport tomorrow morning for our flight back to Los Angeles. We will arrive there about 7:40 tomorrow evening, and have a room there for the night, as there are no flights back to Albuquerque that leave after we will be available. I am assuming that by the time we pick up our luggage and clear customs, it will be at least 9:00 p.m. Instead, we will come on home on Wednesday, arriving in Albuquerque on Wednesday afternoon.

Susan is back to normal health, and we are both looking forward to being home. It has been a great trip, and I have taken close to 1500 photos. I will probably not post again here until after we are home, although I might post something from Los Angeles tomorrow evening. Right now, I need to go up and finish arranging our luggage so we avoid any overweight penalties.

One note of interest: today as we traveled back to Quito we crossed the equator, so I watched on my GPS and took pictures showing the latitude at fractions of a minute both north and south of the equator. I haven't looked yet to see if they are clear, but I hope so.

2 comments:

  1. One joke the locals used to tell on themselves is that the "Mitad del Mundo" monument is not on the equator. The locals thought it was off by over a kilometer. It would be interesting to take the GPS there and see. I had never thought of taking GPS. I hope you are all back safe in the US. Have a great trip tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. I just went to Google Earth and checked, and it shows the Mitad del Mundo as being 0.15 miles south of the equator. Sounds like the locals were right, although not by as much as they said.

    ReplyDelete