Wednesday, March 4, 2009

We are in Quito

We arrived in Quito this morning, and are beginning to find our way around. The flight was a long one, leaving LAX at 8:00 their time, and arriving in Bogota, Columbia at about 6:00 a.m. eastern time. When I bought the tickets, they said that we would not need to change planes, but they lied. Fortunately, we had plenty of time to find out where to go.

Quito is very pleasant, although there are fewer people here who speak any English than I had expected. That just means that we have to work harder to make ourselves understood in Spanish, and to understand them. So far, they have been very patient and understanding.

Just after we arrived, we went looking for lunch, and found a Chinese place just down the street. Susan had stir-fried vegetables with rice, and I had fried rice with egg, and with a bottle of water and a soda, the total cost came to $6.10. After that, we met a young woman here at the hotel that does speak some bit of English, and she has helped us quite a bit. She told us how to take a taxi to go to a supermarket and pick up a few things. Then when we left the supermarket, I thought we could just walk back, but I got turned around, and so we caught another taxi and he brought us back here, and the cost was just $1.00. Since they use US currency here in Ecuador, there are no currency conversion issues either.

I have taken a few pictures so far, but my internet connection has had a few problems, so I think I will go ahead and post this, just so everyone can find out that we are fine. And other than being very tired [spending a night on a plane does not provide restful sleep, at least not for us], we are doing fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment