Thursday, March 19, 2009

A quiet day

Susan is feeling better, but her system is still clearing out whatever it was that bothered her. She did not go out today, except to move up one floor to the "suite" at Hostel Doña Esther. It costs a little more, but it includes a kitchenette, with a stove, sink, and a small fridge, as well as a small dining/living room with a FIREPLACE. As soon as I am done posting this entry, I will go back up and light it up.

It has been cloudy and cool most of the day, with about an hour of sunshine this afternoon, but it is raining now, and the temperature is probably in the low 50s. Considering that we are about a quarter of a degree north of the equator, the weather is not what you would expect. On the other hand, I knew before we came that this is probably the worst time of the year with regard to weather here, so are seeing the worst that it has to offer. And in another way it is quite good. As I was walking the 100 feet or so to this Internet cafe, I passed a small shop that had grapes, apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, kiwi fruit, oranges, and several other types of fruit, all grown locally within a hundred miles or so. I didn´t see them in that shop, but we also have pineapples, bananas, avocados, etc., readily available, also grown here in Ecuador. I went shopping about noon today for supplies for our kitchen, and bought about 12 pounds of produce for $3.40. This included a pineapple, bananas, carrots, onions, beets, chard, broccoli, and a couple of lemons (Susan gave me a list). It´s going to be hard to go back to Smiths.

Another thing about a climate like they have here, construction standards are not so high when it comes to fit and finish. I noticed that we can see light between the window frame and the wall on several of our windows in our suite, which is also the penthouse, so we have views in most directions.

Well, the fireplace is calling, so I´ll try to post again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment