Sunday, January 9, 2011

Bananas and pineapple

I happen to like bananas and pineapple mixed together in bite-sized pieces. Both fruits are available here, fresh and inexpensive, so I try to eat them every morning for breakfast. Here is a picture of the pineapple that I bought yesterday at a nearby fruitstand. I weighed it after I got home, and it tipped the scales at 6 lb. 10 oz. I paid $1.50 for it. Although they are not in the picture, I also like their little bananas, locally called oritos, which are likewise very inexpensive.
And here is a shot of the pineapple on the breakfast bar, with Susan at the sink in our little kitchen. It really is small, but we are getting settled in, and generally are able to find what we are looking for with a minimum of searching.
Today was mostly overcast and cool, with intermittent rain. It was the wettest and coolest day we have had since arriving here. We'll hope for more sun tomorrow.

We are doing well, and despite the cool day, Susan and I went for a walk for nearly an hour this afternoon, just exploring the area around our apartment here. It is interesting to see the variety of homes, ranging from beautiful modern homes, to old buildings, apparently made of unplastered adobe, that look like they are close to falling down.

One difference here is that nearly all homes are built without any offset on the sides, much like what we would consider town homes in the US. This has a lot of ramifications, but it is late, so I may address some of these another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment