Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Busy, busy

Today is January 6 and the last time I posted was on New Year's Day. I am behind, but I have several excuses, some of which will undoubtedly come out in the course of this blog, although I will try not to be obvious about them.

We are living in a two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment that has about 550 square feet of floor space. It is really quite adequate for us now, and will be plenty large when Samuel and Ben leave next week, but it will NOT be large enough to accommodate the stuff that we will be shipping down here in a few months. I am starting to think about how we will deal with that, but there are other things that are more urgent.

For example, I just got back from the Coral Central, which is kind of like a WalMart, where I bought a mop, a funnel, and a few grocery items. On the way there I dropped off a bag of dirty clothes at a lavanderia (laundry). It will cost me $3.10 to pick them up, and no other work required on our part.

I made a list the other day of things that I need to get done, and I checked it again today and found that I have done most of what I can for now, regarding those particular items. We got new glasses for Samuel, I called the credit union and got my internet log-in reset, I got my cell phone working again, and we picked up some things for Ben to bring back to friends in White Rock. I still need to get a post office box here, but I did visit the post office, and I know where it is and what I need to bring them in order to rent the box. I visited a bank about opening an account, and it will be a couple of months before I can actually open the account, because I have to bring them my most recent two months of utility bills of some sort - telephone, electricity, etc.

This evening Samuel, Ben, and I went out to eat. We had seen the sign for a buffet about three blocks away, but when we arrived, around 6:45 p.m. there were no people seated, and the buffet had almost no food in it, so we turned around and left. Instead we went to a pizza place across the street and had a very good pizza, family size, probably 18" across, and all that the three of us wanted to eat.

Yesterday Susan and I stopped in to visit a friend that Susan met when we were here last year in her crafts store. While we were there, we heard a commotion outside, and saw that there was a small parade/procession passing by. Here are four pictures that I took.

These riders were leading the parade.
Like the Fourth of July parade in White Rock, passers-by appear to feel free to join in.
These girls were really decked out.
At the end of the parade was this float, commemorating Moses leading the children of Israel through the Red sea.
And with that, I think I'll close for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment