Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas program

This evening was the Christmas program at church. Susan and Ben had been invited to help by playing the piano, so we arrived about 25 minutes early so they could practice. It was scheduled to start at 7:00, or so we were told, but it finally got underway at 7:40, and ran for a little over an hour. It all went very well.

I then brought Susan home so she could fix something to eat, while the boys stayed for refreshments and whatever other activities might happen. They are not home yet as I write, at 11:00 p.m. here.

I should also note that there are a lot of fireworks going off this evening, in various different places around the city. We stopped to watch some in the distance as we walked home from the church, and I have seen others through the window as I sat here catching up on e-mail and writing this blog. Apparently Christmas is a big season for fireworks here, but far from the only one.

Earlier today I went for another bus exploration tour, this time on the #15 bus, and again it took me outside the city. Here is a picture of the semi-rural countryside that we traveled through. Given that this is only a few minutes from downtown Cuenca, it looks very appealing to me.

Then on the way home, I stopped at the store to pick up a few things, and decided to bring Susan some flowers. I got a dozen long-stemmed roses, as you can see in this picture. Lest you think that I am being unduly extravagant, I will mention that the price was only $3. They are still beautiful, and will be on our table for Christmas dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment