Monday, December 14, 2009

Water Treatment plant

This morning Samuel and I set out to see if we could get an appointment to visit a water treatment plant here in Cuenca. We talked to people in three different places before we found the right one, where the woman referred us to an actual plant. We took a taxi out there, and met with Hernan Cabrera, who is the engineer in charge of the plant. We visited at first, and I asked about the plant and related details, then he took us for a tour. It is just like similar plants in the US, and in fact, the whole system and how it operates could be taken directly from the USA. Based on what I learned there today, plus what I have read elsewhere, I have no reservations about drinking water out of the tap here in Cuenca. I wouldn't necessarily do it elsewhere in Ecuador or Latin America, but I now trust the water in Cuenca.

We also left with an appointment to see another smaller plant on Thursday morning, and Hernan told me as we were leaving that this was only the second time in ten years that he had been able to show off his plant to visitors from outside of Ecuador. Despite the lack of practice, he was an excellent guide, and is obviously very proud of his plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment