Saturday, January 23, 2010

Before I say anything about today's activities, I need to mention that I may not have internet access tomorrow evening, so if I don't post tomorrow, don't worry. I'll be back on Monday.

This afternoon Susan and I took another bus exploration tour, this time on the #18 bus. I had ridden this bus once before, but I wanted to show her the sights along the way. It goes past the market where we usually buy our produce, and there were these women out front by the bus stop selling fruit out of wheelbarrows. The fruits were cherries, grapes, mangoes, and another fruit like small cherries that is grown here. They are all locally grown.Shortly after passing the market, we crossed the Rio Yanucay, the second largest of the rivers that run through Cuenca. There are a total of four rivers, so there is a lot of riverfront property. However, this is not entirely a plus, as we have been told that it is not uncommon for the rivers to flood, and there are some houses that can become islands. Although it is too small to really see in this picture, there was woman washing clothes in the edge of the river.Here is another thing you don't see in the US. This looks like a funeral home, but actually all they do is sell coffins. I am not sure, but I don't think that funeral regulations here are anything like we have in the US. I suspect that most people are buried without being embalmed. When someone passes away, the family goes to a store like this, buys a casket, and arranges for a funeral at a church, and a burial plot or crypt at a cemetery. Regardless, I have seen several stores around Cuenca selling coffins. Also, when we were here last March, we saw a group of people carrying a body out of an apartment building, which leads me to believe that there is much less involvement of the professional medical and funeral people here.Then this evening, after we returned, I went out to buy a little bread, and the whole street was already Party Central. Lots of young adults, in small groups all up and down the street, with music and beer. This was almost four hours ago, and we can hear music non-stop, and it will probably go on until 1:00 a.m. or so.And here is a picture of a Toyota Land Cruiser, probably close to 30 years old, but in almost new condition. It has obviously been well cared for.

No comments:

Post a Comment