Friday, January 22, 2010

Expat gathering

Every Friday evening here in Cuenca there are a couple of locations where expats, mostly American, get together to visit and keep in contact. Susan and I went to one of these the first Friday we were here, and that is how we made contact to find the apartment that we are renting. However, when the boys arrived, we spent our time with them on Fridays [and every other evening] rather than attending the expat get-together.

However, now that Samuel and Ben have returned to NMSU, I decided to go back. Last week I went, but I arrived after most people had left. I thought that it started at 7:00 p.m., but actually it is scheduled to run from 5-7 p.m., upstairs in a bar named Zoe's. Susan decided not to attend, since some people there smoke, and the noise level is such that it can make it difficult to converse at a distance of more than 2-3 feet.

Tonight there were 40-50 people there, but I only wound up visiting with half a dozen or so. Some I knew from previous visits, or other contacts, and I met a few others for the first time. Conversational topics range all over the place, but always start with what brings one to Cuenca, and how long you have been here, and how long you plan to stay. There is also a lot of information exchange about things to do, or things you can find in Cuenca, as well as a lot of rumors and such. I take what I hear there with a grain [or more] of salt, but I will probably continue to attend, unless I have a conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment