Saturday, February 13, 2010

27 years

Today I went to the market to stock up on a few things, since a lot of places will be closed for the next three days, and while I was there, I bought some roses for Susan. Today marks 27 years since we got engaged, and with tomorrow being Valentines, and with such a deal on roses, how could I not get some?

My intention was to get a dozen long-stemmed red roses, and after buying the groceries I approached a flower vendor and asked her how much the long-stemmed red roses were. She said $5, and then added that there were 25 roses in a bundle. Wow! All I did was ask if she had change for a $20, which she did, and then she added in a couple of fronds to enhance the whole thing. Here is Susan holding the whole bouquet, followed by another picture of the flowers sitting on our divider where they are a little easier to see, although you still can't count them all.

Most years I don't get roses for Valentines, but this year, how could I pass up a deal like this?

Carnival does not officially begin until tomorrow, but the water balloon squadrons were out in force today. I was not targeted, except by a girl with a water gun sitting in a parked car as I walked by, but I held up the flowers as a shield, so all she did was water them a bit. I doubt that I make it through the next three days without getting hit at least once, though.

Here is a picture, taken at full telephoto, of a truck with water-balloon warriors in the back. They drive up and down the main streets, flinging water balloons at other groups of young men on the sidewalks, who are equally armed and return fire with enthusiasm. I tried to be cautious about taking photos, since some might see that as an invitation for a return shot, and I don't want my camera getting doused.

No comments:

Post a Comment