Friday, February 12, 2010

Walking

One of the reasons that I am in better shape here is that I walk a lot. Today I walked well over three miles, and perhaps four. There is a copy shop that we like to use that is not too far away, but today I took some things over to copy, and then three hours later, when I went back to pick up the copies, I counted my steps on the way over, and it is almost a mile, round-trip. The grocery store is about the same distance down the street in the other direction, and I also went there today.

Then this evening I went again to the Friday evening gathering of expats, and took a bus, but I had to walk 300 yards or so to the bus stop, and then half a mile or more back to a point to catch a bus to come home. It is not extreme, but the exercise is good.

Almost to the printer I saw these kids having a water fight. Carnival starts this Sunday and runs for three days, but lots of people are already celebrating. This is the equivalent of Mardi Gras in New Orleans, but celebrated according to Ecuador traditions. I have heard a lot of stories and warnings, but I will form my own opinion based on what I see. In any case, the girl at the upper left corner of the picture has a hose, and the boy with his back to me is soaked and shivering, but keeping his distance. There were other boys out of sight to the right, also wet.I may just stay home most of those three days, since most stores and such will be closed. Apparently this is as big a holiday here as Christmas, although the traditions are quite different. I'll share more as I see it.

Also, as I was leaving the expat gathering this evening, I passed a store that sells DVDs, and behind the counter was this boy holding a very cute puppy. I stopped to look at the puppy and asked if I could take his picture. The boy gladly agreed, and held him up for a better shot.And finally, just before I got home I stopped in at the bakery where I buy fresh bread, but tonight I just got an ice cream cone. They have home-made ice cream, very much like what they have in Italy, and it is wonderful. This is coconut ice cream, and a single scoop cone like this costs 50 cents. I have one more days than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment