Saturday, February 20, 2010

Back in Cuenca

Susan and I are back in Cuenca. It turns out that it's not that far to Guayaquil, perhaps 250 miles, but coming home this afternoon/evening took almost six hours. The reason, besides all the twisty roads, is that we started out essentially at sea level, and crossed over a pass that tops out at 13,620, according to my GPS, which is about 450 feet higher than the top of Wheeler Peak, the highest point in New Mexico. That poor bus just climbed and climbed and climbed.

I would also recommend, based on experience, that you NOT make that trip with a head cold. My ears were not adjusting well yesterday as we traveled to Guayaquil, and although they eventually adjusted, it was not pleasant. Today I am better, and my ears kept popping as we climbed, which is a WONDERFUL feeling. However, we are both tired, so I will close here for tonight, and try to write a longer one, even with some pictures, tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment