Thursday, February 4, 2010

Susan's sewing circle

Susan has found a group of women that gather in a craft shop every afternoon to work on various crafts. She enjoys their company, although it is frustrating to not be able to talk to or understand them as well as she would like, but it is still fun. This afternoon I took her over for the class, then I went and sat in the Parque Calderon [Calderon Park] in front of the cathedral of Cuenca. When I came back to pick her up, I took this picture of her with the other women.While I was sitting in the park, an elderly gentleman, probably in his 70s, but maybe older, came up and sat down beside me. He asked what country I was from, and then what state. He said that he had a brother in New York, but that he himself had lived in Ecuador all his life. It turns out that he is a retired college professor [I didn't learn what he taught], but we talked for at least half an hour. His Spanish was clear and easy to understand, and I was able to understand almost all that he said. I still feel overwhelmed sometimes by all that I am still not able to say, but then I have an experience like this and realize that my Spanish has really improved a lot. And is still improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment