Tuesday, February 23, 2010

In Quito

We finished up cleaning out the apartment and packing our bags this morning. We wouldn't have made it except that we left a box of stuff that we certainly don't need back in the US. We made it to the airport in plenty of time, and had a short, pleasant flight to Quito.

We are now planning to get to bed early so we can get up and head to the airport a little after 7:00 tomorrow morning to catch a 9:40 flight. I really don't have a lot more to say this time, except that it has been almost a year now since we first arrived in Quito on our previous trip, and when we got to the hotel, there was Daniela who helped us make our in-country reservations last March. She recognized me at once, and we started talking, and then after 30 seconds or so, she said, [in Spanish] "Oh! Your Spanish is really good!"

Compared to a year ago, I guess it is. Certainly it has improved dramatically, but rather than "muy bueno", I would describe it as "muy mejorado". [...rather than "very good", I would describe it as "very improved."]

Regardless, a year ago I could say very little. I remember asking Daniela how to say "I want" in Spanish, while today I am able to get along in most instances without too much problem, at least as long as people are friendly and patient. Now I just need to keep studying and practicing.

I plan to post tomorrow evening from Albuquerque.

No comments:

Post a Comment