Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sliding on the grass

Yesterday Susan found out about a class that is offered in a craft shop across the Rio Tomebamba. They do not charge anything for the class, but of course, you have to buy materials...

Anyhow, I walked over there with her this afternoon, and on the way, we saw these two kids sliding down a steep grassy bank on pieces of what appear to be cardboard. We never saw them overshoot and fall in the river, but they would stop right at the edge.

Here they are carrying their cardboard pieces up the slope.And then the girl came sliding down first. Just after I took this picture, she slid off of her cardboard and went rolling.But as you can see here, she is already heading back up the slope to do it again, as her brother [?] comes down behind her. It looked like they were having a lot of fun.
Then a few yards later, we came across this darling little girl. When I first saw her, her mother looked like she was really upset about something, but I couldn't resist, so I asked if I could take a picture of her daughter, and her face lit up, as her little girl looked at me as if she thought I might be dangerous. I took the picture, gave the mother a big smile and a "Gracias!" and we went on our way. I hope I brightened up her day a little bit.Susan's class went really well, as there was a lady working there who speaks just about as much English as Susan does Spanish. However, most of what they were doing involved more show and imitate than it did deep philosophical discussions, so she wants to go back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment