Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Water project

Today Susan and I went out to Perry's farm for the last time, at least for this trip. Originally I had planned to get a slow-rate sand filter up and running for him, but we have run out of time, at least on our part. However, I think I have him off to a good start, and I hope that he can finish it up based on the plans I have given him.

And since Susan had never been out to his property, I was able to bring her along today. We went by an alternate route, and saw more of the beautiful countryside that seems to be so common here. This is a picture of the valley just to the south of Cuenca, perhaps 4-5 miles from the edge of town.Today we built a small dam to back up water and run it into a pipe that will carry it down to the filter. We mixed concrete to fill in a narrow gap, with a pipe embedded in the concrete. We ran out of sand, so we mixed the last part with dirt instead. I know that it won't be as strong, but in a situation like this, it should still be strong enough. You can see the color of the "dirt-crete" as the brown part of the dam. Also, the colander is there to keep larger pieces of debris from blocking the inlet on the pipe. And of course, there is Mikael playing in the water. He is Perry and Mindy's son, and all boy. Susan and Mindy visited the whole time this was going on, and had a great time.
On the way back, I took this picture of some horses. There are a lot of horses out in this area, as well as milk cows, but these, with the mare and colt on the right, were really beautiful.Just as we got back to Cuenca it started to rain, and has rained most of the evening. It was a good thing that we didn't have anywhere else to go, because I am tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment