Monday, February 8, 2010

Busy day

Today we started out by visiting our immigration lawyer to pick up our passports with the visa extensions that we need. He had told us that the extensions were approved, but today we actually went to the immigration office and were able to pick them up. It feels good to know that we are not going to be fined for overstaying our visas, and it also helps that this was the least expensive option for resolving our quandary.

This quandary came about because of a change in the visa rules here in Ecuador. Before we came here last March I read that Ecuador allowed foreign visitors to have two 90-day visas any any 365-day period, but you had to leave Ecuador for at least a few days between visits. However, about the time of our visit, they changed the rules such that visitors are only allowed 90 days in Ecuador in any 365-day period, unless they obtain an extension. So when I booked tickets for this visit I thought I had a 90-day window without risk of overstaying, when actually, the three weeks we were here last March counted against our 90 days. Thus, we needed an extension on our visas, or we would face a fine at the airport when we left.

Then this afternoon I took Susan over to her class again, during which I visited the lawyer's office to pay for their services and get our passports. Then after I got home with Susan, I had to go back to the Mall del Rio to get another 15 days of service added to my internet modem, and I didn't get home until almost 8:00 p.m. I didn't take any pictures today, but it now feels good just to be home. Tomorrow I have a long list of things we need from the market, so I'll be going there again. I think I walked at least 3-4 miles today, and I am tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment